Thursday, February 23, 2012

A new WIP

I needed a little break from all that green on green for the letter L project, so I've started another design. This one is a summery scene that reminds me of our recent cruise around the South Pacific. So far I have only done 20 rows of one shade of blue, so not much variation from green on green! I started it on February 18th. Here's what it will look like, eventually:

Image Hosting by

A Christmas finish in February

Why not? This is was stitched as part of the "ornament-a-year" I plan on stitching for each of my two boys. One was born in 1997, the other 2002 and I only started this project last month. I have been meaning to do it for ages but now I've started hopefully I won't look back. I've now stitched them 2 each, so I only have 21 left to stitch until I've caught up, hence the stitching of Christmas ornaments in February! I also joined a "Christmas all year" stitch-along to help me stay on track. This months theme was Christmas trees, I managed to stuff mine up a little bit, but made it work as I went along. Here it is:

  • Name of the design is "Sapin Numero 4". I added the trunk myself.
  • Chart is a freebie from this blog.
  • Fabric is 32 count white opalescent evenweave.
  • Thread is DMC cotton.
  • Stitch count is 54 x 69
  • Started on February 8th 2012.
  • Completed on February 15th 2012.

Image Hosting by

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Our cat was bitten by a snake!

It's been pretty quiet on the blogging front for the last few weeks, but I have been busy stitching but most importantly I have been dealing with a sick cat.

I wasn't home Monday night, but the boys didn't notice anything wrong with him. Tuesday morning he didn't come when called and I found him lying down not looking himself and drooling. I kept an eye on him but he didn't improve so Wednesday I took him to the vet. The vet wasn't sure what was wrong but she did an x-ray which came back clear and some bloodwork. The test for snakebite didn't work properly at the clinic so they sent it away and it came back as positive. Whatever they tested for should have been <300 but Jazz's results were over 33,000!

We then went through the options for treatment, getting progressively more expensive as his odds for survival went up. At best he stood about a 70% chance of making it. We decided to give him the mixed anti-venom as we couldn't be sure if it was a brown or tiger snake - both of which have been sighted on our property. He spent Thursday getting the anti-venom and he did pick up Thursday night and then again Friday. I took the kids for a visit Friday night and was shocked and surprised when the vet said I could take him home! He gave me some prescription food and showed me how to water it down and syringe it into the back of his throat, as Jazz's swallowing was still difficult.

Fast forward to today - Sunday, and he came into the kitchen when he smelt bacon. I gave him some bacon to lick at but he surprised me by eating it, quickly followed by some cheese and then 2 small plates of real cat food. He's yet to poo since Monday, but now he's back to eating real food it should happen soon.

Whew - that's an adventure I don't want to repeat! He will hopefully be more wary of snakes now, if and when he wants to go outside again.
Image Hosting by